VAT & HMRC Submissions


How Does VAT Work in the UK?

If your business is based abroad but is operating in the UK, you may be required to register for VAT and subsequently send VAT returns to HMRC.

Returns must be submitted to HMRC using an online system. A list of government-approved software can be found on the government website

Organisations outside of the UK could face complicated issues if they do not get themselves ahead of the game in understanding the latest technical and financial legislation. Outsourcing your record keeping to a specialist such as Goodwille will ensure you are compliant with the latest legislation. For startups in particular, where resources can be limited, it allows you to stay ahead in your operating industry, rather than spending time on tasks like these.

Record Keeping

Historically, it didn’t matter how you would keep financial records. However, with the introduction of digital tax and trying to ensure there’s full transparency across company accounts, businesses are no longer legally able to keep manual financial records for VAT. Companies must use a compliant approved accounting system directly connected to HMRC through an API starting from April 1st 2019. Goodwille’s preferred accounting system, XERO, is fully compliant with MTD, and we can provide a bridging tool for clients using a platform which is not yet compliant.

VAT, or Value Added Tax, is a tax charged on the sale of most goods and services in the UK. The first thing to note is that you can only charge and claim VAT if your business is registered for VAT, which is a must if your turnover for any 12-month period exceeds or is expected to exceed the threshold. Learn more.

Making Tax Digital (MTD)

Making tax digital is an initiative which came into effect on 1st April 2019. Making tax digital is part of the government’s efforts to ensure both companies and their individuals are keeping track of their tax contributions. It ensures greater transparency from businesses to the government.

Construction Industry Scheme (CIS)

If you are operating in the construction industry and using subcontractors in the UK, you may need to register with HMRC for the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS). Once you are registered for CIS, you must make monthly submissions to HMRC.

Contractors must register for the scheme, and advance payments are deducted from the subcontractors pay for tax and national insurance.

CIS covers construction work to buildings, such as site preparation, decorating & refurbishment. If you are operating as architects, surveyors, scaffolding hire, carpet fitting, delivering materials or similar, you probably do not need to register for CIS.

Dom Morris

Meet Our
Head of Finance

Dom Morris
As our Head of Finance, Dom’s role is to oversee the teams that manage the delivery of fully compliant financial processes for our clients, as well as for advising them on the decisions that will help drive their businesses forward. He is responsible for the Finance teams across both the London and Warwick offices.

The Tools We Use


All-in-one accounting software for small businesses

Pleo Logo


Smart payment cards with automated expense reports

Expensify Logo


One-click receipt tracking and expense management

ApprovalMax Logo


Approval automation for accounts payable and accounts receivable



Quick and easy platform for accounting admin and business expenses tracking.